“Be a Light of the World to Others” – Christmas 2021
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16
“Be a Light of the World to Others” for Christmas 2021
A simple saying can also have a strong meaning. “Be a light of the world to others” is a mantra here at The Leo House as our goal is to provide the very best of Christian Hospitality by welcoming travelers from around the world into our home-away-from-home in New York City. Taken from the bible, this saying also largely resembles what the story of Jesus is all about: helping others and treating people the way we would like others to treat us. Every person should aim to be a light of the world to others and therefore help raise each other up. If you become a light for one person, then that good deed may spread, sparking change across the world.
The Story of Christmas: Jesus is a Light to All
The birth of Jesus brings about so much hope, joy and peace. We know that once Jesus was born, the world changed forever. Remembering His life and teachings, we can shine a light on the idea that all people can redeem themselves. True joy can be found in transforming yourself. So, how can you be a light to others like Jesus was a light for all of us?
How Can We Be a Light of the World to Others?
- Adopt a selfless attitude – When you get think too much about your own problems, it can feel overwhelming and you might miss out on some of the best people and aspects of life that could be right in front of you. Try to spend more time counting your blessings. Think about how you can help others even in small manageable ways like holding the door open for someone.
- Show how much you care – Reach out to people who may be feeling lonely this time of year. Take special care with friends and family who have recently lost someone dear to them. Remember, the best gifts can not be bought in a store. You can be generous by giving your time to others just by listening to someone talk or spending time with a loved one.
- Honor traditions – Involve your loved ones in honoring traditions. Sure, have fun with the cute traditions, but also be sure to attend mass, pray and share God with others. Jesus is the real reason for the season right?
- Shield yourself from negativity – This time of year can be stressful. Do let the hustle and bustle put you in a bad mood. Take a deep breath and be at peace. Set a good example for others. Your bright light can spread to others more easily than you think.
- Inspire others through your actions – Think about ways you can help others and invite your friends and family to join in. Whether it means donating your time or money for a good cause, volunteering at a soup kitchen, raising money for a good cause, donating a care package to a homeless shelter, as well as donating to Toys for Tots, it can be more fun when you do it together.
- Welcome others into your life – Make a new friend. Be kind to a stranger. Forgive others and let go of grudges. Write a letter to someone living far away. There are many ways you can open the door to friendship and make an impact on someone else to do the same.
- Spread delight through random acts of kindness – Pay for a stranger’s coffee. Let someone merge in front of you on the highway. Bring in your neighbor’s trash cans from the curb. Deliver cookies to a neighbor. It takes a little effort but the reaction you get from performing kindness may just delight you as well.
So, what does it mean to be a light of the world to others?
To us, it means spreading cheer, hope, peace, joy and kindness. It means inspiring people to help others. Being a light of the world to others is a beautiful way to spread the message of God’s love and peace. Spreading good deeds and positive feelings to others is living your life the way Jesus intended through his teachings so long ago. We wish you a very Merry Christmas and don’t forget to share your light with others.
Read these other interesting articles on The Leo House blog:
- A Thrill of Hope the Weary World Rejoices – Christmas 2020
- Spread the Good News of Christmas – Christmas 2019
- Spreading Christmas Hope and Love – Christmas 2018