Our hearts are filled with prayers as we ask ourselves, “How can I help the people of Ukraine?” After months of building troops along their shared borders, Russia officially invaded Ukraine on February 24th. The invasion is devastating Ukraine while Russia launches brutal acts of force on government, military and also civilian targets with missile strikes (bbc.com). We mourn the loss of peace. Above all, we worry about the threat to innocent people. The images of destruction, fighting and people fleeing for safety are heartbreaking. There are many ways to help the people of Ukraine including donating, praying for Ukraine, and caring for those around you.
Why is the Russian Invasion of Ukraine significant to The Leo House?
Naturally, we’re concerned for the safety of all innocent people impacted by this tragedy. After that, we worry about how as a global community we can resolve this conflict and move forward to peaceful times again. As Ukrainians seek safety and refuge, we look for ways to support them and tell how you can help as well. As a Catholic non-profit organization, our mission is to help our community of travelers on a local and global scale.
We are also reminded of the history of The Leo House.
Did you know The Leo House began as a non-profit refuge and safe haven for German immigrants fleeing Europe in the mid-late 1800’s and through the end of WWII? As the threat of war decreased, we continued our mission. We would continue to provide a safe place for travelers of all backgrounds, religions and nationalities. Our goal is to help them with difficulties they may face along the way. The Leo House has a long history of supporting various communities through struggles. For instance, we provide rooms for first responders during 9/11. In addition, we also offer ongoing help for families visiting sick loved ones at nearby hospitals.
Below we’ve put together a non-exhaustive list of how people can help Ukraine during this stressful, difficult time. If you think of something that is not on our list, please comment on our Facebook post of the article so we can add your suggestion to our list.
Donate to Help the People of Ukraine to these Organizations:
- UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund – UNICEF delivers aid to hundreds of thousands of children and families to ease hardships brought on by armed conflict to meet urgent and escalating needs for safe water, health care, nutrition and protection.
- CRS – Catholic Relief Services – CRS is ready to provide safe shelter, hot meals, hygiene supplies, fuel, transport and counseling services to people across Ukraine and in bordering countries.
- IRC – International Rescue Committee – IRC is on the ground in Poland ready to support displaced families. Donations will help provide food, medical care and emergency supplies to refugee families in Ukraine.
- Americares – A donation to Americares delivers medicine, medical supplies and emergency funding to families and people impacted by this disaster.
- Amnesty International – Amnesty International protects displaced populations and refugees by helping to monitor and investigate human rights violations.
- ICRC – International Committee of The Red Cross – With a team of over 600 members and working closely with the Ukrainian Red Cross Society, ICRC provides support for humanitarian needs including food, water, essential items, medical equipment for hospitals and healthcare facilities and emergency preparedness. They also support the rehabilitation of damaged homes.
Organizations in Ukraine where you can send Donations:
- Razom for Ukraine – Razom for Ukraine creates spaces where people can meet, partner and work together to unlock the potential of Ukraine including increasing civic engagement and amplifying the voices of Ukraine.
- Revived Soldiers of Ukraine – Revived Soldiers of Ukraine focuses on assisting severely injured soldiers. They help by getting soldiers medical care and rehabilitation in other countries. They promote cooperation between the U.S. and Ukraine. In addition, they also help to provide emergency medical aid and supplies, housing for Ukraine soldiers and their families, as well as support for children and women in their right to healthy living.
- Doctors without Borders – Doctors without Borders are helping in Ukraine by working with local volunteers, organizations, health care professionals and authorities to help people travel to health care facilities, access prescribed medications and to raise awareness about common health challenges.
- Voices of Children – Voices of Children is based in eastern Ukraine and they help support children affected by war through psychological, psychosocial and financial support.
- CARE – Ukraine Crisis Fund – CARE provides water, food, hygiene kits, psychological support, cash and ongoing support in Ukraine.
How to Help the People of Ukraine without Spending Money:
- Remain informed about the conflict. Only share accurate, fact-based information. Avoid spreading disinformation. Global Citizen provides some resources for trustworthy information so that you can stay informed and up-to-date.
- Share this article on social media. Your connections may be able to donate or pray for Ukraine.
- Email this article to friends and family. Perhaps they can donate or pray for Ukraine.
- Pray. See below for various ways to pray for the Ukrainian community.
- Be kind to others. You never know who could be dealing with the effects of this disaster. Someone may be worried about family members in the war zone. Others may feel sadness about what is happening.
How to Help the People of Ukraine through Prayer:
- President and Leaders of Ukraine – pray they have wisdom, strength and support in the upcoming days.
- Soldiers Protecting Ukraine – pray they may have courage, strength and perseverance.
- People and Families Searching for Safety- pray that they may stick together, find shelter and escape from danger.
- All Ukrainians – pray they find peace and hope during this difficult time.
- Ukrainian Believers – pray that they find comfort, peace, and strength in God. We pray they share the source of their strength with others.
- An End of the Conflict – pray for God to enable a swift end and resolution to this invasion.
- Pray for God to enable the churches and missionaries of Ukraine to care for their people.
- Pray that the leadership in Russia changes course and seeks peace.
You May Also Want to Read:
- Fast Company – How to help the people of Ukraine: 7 things you can do right now
- USA Today – Want to support the people of Ukraine? These apps and websites can help you send money
- Time Magazine – How to help Ukraine people
- NPR – Want to support the people in Ukraine? Here’s how you can help.
- Global Citizen – 9 Meaningful Ways to Help Ukraine Conflict