You can watch the NYC 4th of July fireworks at the usual spots, or you can watch them like a local. For some lesser-known viewing spots, check out our list below. Or head on over to Macy’s Fireworks website to see all the usual 2022 NYC 4th of July Fireworks viewing areas. Are you going for a casual picnic vibe? Or do you want to dress your best and get all fancy? Do you want to watch from Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Long Island City? There is something for everyone on this list of local spots to watch the NYC 4th of July fireworks.
Location: 2022 NYC 4th of July Fireworks
First let’s get down to the basics. The official Macy’s NYC 4th of July Fireworks show happens along East River and that is where there are seven official public viewing areas. There will be crowds so be an early bird if you want to secure your spot. Be prepared for NYPD security screening throughout the city and expect huge crowds.
Time: 2022 NYC 4th of July Fireworks
The entire show consists of about 50,000 shells from five barges along the East River and will last about 25 minutes. The show starts as soon as it gets dark enough to see the fireworks which is around 9:25pm ET on Monday, July 4th. It will also be streamed on Peacock from 8-10pm ET with events and performances leading up to the fireworks.
Where to Watch the 2022 NYC 4th of July Fireworks
- Newtown Barge Park – Many options of areas to get a front row seat to the fireworks show.
- Westlight – Fancy and pricey but worth it for the amazing views.
- Fornino Brooklyn Bridge Park – Here you’ll get a seat and a wood-fired pizza. What more could you ask for? Reservations needed.
- Marsha P. Johnson State Park – Located at East River State Park, you’ll get a beautiful outdoor experience on this seven-acre waterfront park with lush greenery and historical remnants of old NYC.
- WNYC Transmitter Park – Good for families with expansive space and a children’s play area. Expect more of a casual picnic vibe here.
- Skyline Drive-In – Located on the Greenpoint waterfront, you can attend “Fireworks and a Movie” which will show Back to the Future straight after the Fireworks Display. Go VIP or for a cheaper option, select general admission and bring your own chairs.
- Pilot – Eat oysters aboard the fancy 147-foot schooner to make your fireworks show more magical.
Long Island City
- FDR Four Freedoms Park – FDR Four Freedoms Park will host a limited-ticket 4th of July Family Fireworks Celebration from 6-10:30pm.
- Roosevelt Island – For a full guide to viewing areas please click this link.
- Gantry Plaza State Park – Located in Hunter’s Point, Long Island City, there is plenty of wide open space to check out the beautiful display of fireworks.
- Cornell Tech Viewing Area on Roosevelt Island – Access opens at 12pm and closes at 9pm or at full capacity. Entrance is first-come first-serve. No re-entry.
- Circle Line Cruises around NYC – If you want to get really close, we suggest hoping on a boat! Circle Line Cruises is a great option.
- The Greens at Pier 17 – We’ve written about The Greens before to tell you about their cool mini backyards. Reserve your own mini yard to view the fireworks in style.
- Water Club NYC – Book your indoor or outdoor table to enjoy live music, a buffet and open bar for a set price. Expect a higher price tag here than other options.
- East 42nd Street & FDR Drive – Enter at security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and East 42nd Street.
- East 34th Street & FDR Drive – Enter at security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and East 34th Street. Wheelchair accessible.
- East 23rd Street & FDR Drive – Enter at security checkpoint at 1st Avenue and East 23rd Street.
Thank you for reading our list of local spots to view the 2022 NYC 4th of July Fireworks. If you are heading into New York City this summer, know that you are always welcome to stay with us at The Leo House. We hope to welcome you soon.
Other Great Places to go in New York City: